Friday, September 11, 2009

The Bilingual Phenomenon

It has been my experience as a native English speaker coming to a non-English speaking country with other native English speakers, that we tend to not want to fulfill the sterotype of the typical American- the loud and obnoxious tourist who doesn't speak a word of the language of whatever country they're in, and then gets louder and more obnoxious and angry when noone in that country speaks English! Well it's quite eerie to be in a city where one out of every three or four people you meet speaks basic conversational to advanced English.

For example. My host mother Ines had her three children and their four second cousins over last night. I walked in and they were discussing something. Ines told me that her oldest son, Santiago had planted a logic riddle. They continued discussing it and I was confused because no one actually said what the problem was. So I asked Ines. She said, "Santiago tell Jill the riddle." He got beet red and said, "No, mama, deciselo vos. No tengo confianza con ella todavia." Meaning, "Mom, you tell her. I'm not that comfortable with her yet." Of course I looked around extremely confused. Without missing a beat, he said, "No, es que, es un poco R- Rated" Just like that. Span-glish in its purest form!

Later, they were talking about the filters that Santiago put on the internet and television for his three children. One of the cousins, Fede, asked Santiago, "But is pornography all it filters?" And he began, "No, tambien violencia, drogas, gore. Como se lo dice en Castellano?" He didn't even know the word for "gore" in Spanish! It was sooo weird to be sitting in a room of people who were talking in one language, and knowing that if they wanted to, they could carry on the exact same conversation in a different language! Santiago speaks perfect English, Ines' other two children speak medium to perfect as well. One of the cousins was just in Princeton NJ working for Bristol Meyer Squibb, and the other works in international advertising.

Outside of the family? I play soccer at University Torquato di Tella with a team of about 13 or 14 girls, half of whom are lawyers, and most of whom speak perfect English! They understand me when I talk, and if I don't know a word in Spanish I can just say it in English and most everyone knows just what I mean.

I don't know why this interest me so much. I guess it's because it's something that would never EVER happen in the United States. I mean, with places like Ginos in Philly that have signs specifically saying you must speak in English to be served, Americans are so centered on themselves such widespread multi-lingual-ness (?) would never ever be found.

Well it's Friday and I'm doing what? No surprise, I'm about to go play soccer. I got a call from one of the girls on my team who started playing for another league, but the team does not have a goalie. It means I'll get a chance to practice in a setting that's not as highly competitive as the other league I play in.

Classes are insanely difficult. But, I guess its nothing different from the US. Just scares me because its in a different language. Well that's all for now, folks!

No comments:

Post a Comment