Saturday, July 18, 2009

Pre-Journey Thoughts

Tomorrow afternoon I will be boarding a flight to Miami. Once I land in Miami I will have a chance to catch some real dinner (i.e not airplane food) and then I'll get right back on a plane to Buenos Aires. I will arrive in Buenos Aires at around 6:30 in the morning! Which means only one thing, I'd better sleep on the plane!
The day before my big journey I find myself reflecting on all the things I might not get to experience until I return in December! Tropicana orange juice, peanut butter and jelly sandwhiches, all my favorite TV shows (Gilmore Girls, Bones, NCIS), Saturday morning soccer games where I can get three goals in (I've been told that a lot of pick up games in Buenos Aires will have players almost on par with the professionals, so me being able to even hold onto the ball will probably be out of the question), Cranbury Pizza (or just pizza in general), all the super funny movies that will be out in the next two weeks (who knows what the premier schedule is like in Argentina?), and not to mention all of fall semester!!!
But I comfort myself knowing that what I'm going to experience is probably beyond my wildest dreams. I'll be living with a single widow in an upscale neighborhood about fifteen minutes away from where my thesis research will be taking place. And...surprise...there are FIVE, yes I repeat 5 Lutheran churches in the Buenos Aires area! *GASP*...so I won't be corralled into turning Catholic. Hooray! So, overall it promises to be a rewarding experience. I'm not thrilled about flying (never have been), but once I get down there, the adventures begin!
My To Do List
1. Learn to dance the Tango
2. Try 20-30 different recipes
3. Score interviews with the head coach of my thesis team and star players
4. Visit the beaches!
5. Play lots of soccer and tennis
6. Go to a Boca vs. River game
7. Go to any Boca Juniors game
8. Get all Bs or better in every class
9. Go to Iguazu Falls
10. Play drums at least once

No comments:

Post a Comment