Friday, May 15, 2009

Further Developments

So who knew that entering Argentina would require so much hassle just because I'm Colombian. I got an e-mail from our program coordinator just yesterday about how I needed a background check from the FBI regardless, and if I had been in Colombia within the last five years I would have needed a background check from the Colombian police! Apparently, Argentine law is really screwy and whether or not someone is a citizen of a certain country does not matter, but if you were born in a country which is a member of MERCOSUR, such paper work is a requirement because all MERCOSUR members and affiliates entering Argentina receive a 2 year residency visa. Must be something like the EU only with TONS more hassle.
In other, more pleasant, news, I've finally decided on a topic for my senior thesis! Yes, it seems like I just got into college and now I'm writing a proposal for my senior thesis! I would say that this would be the last paper I'll ever have to write, but then there'll hopefully be law school after Gettysburg. So, drum roll....... "The Golden Era of Argentinos Juniors." I picked a futbol (soccer) club in Buenos Aires, it's in the first division but not quite up with the hardest hitting top five teams. Interestingly enough, though, it's the team that Maradona and Riquelme came out of. I plan to look at its golden era, which spans about forty years (from mid-1940's to mid-1980's), establish a political background for these years, and discuss the social, economic, and political impact that Argentinos Juniors (a.k.a Argentinos) has had on Villa Crespo, the barrio where they are based. It should be an interesting thesis paper, definitely out of the ordinary. I was going to do something on the Boca vs. River rivalry but hey that's been written about and overdone. I thought I'd pick the under dog for once. I'd be open to any ideas from soccer aficionados.
Those are all the updates for now.

No comments:

Post a Comment