Sunday, August 9, 2009

Long Awaited...Personal Updates

Hi, folks! I have been in this wonderful country for three weeks now, and every day I wake up feeling so glad that I decided to come! Some classes have started, while others have not. With the IFSA (Institute for Study Abroad) program that I came with, students are allowed a shopping period, where we can try out courses at a number of different universities. We can try courses at 1) the University of Buenos Aires (UBA), 2) University Torquato Di Tella (UTDT), 3) Catholic University of Argentina (UCA) and 4) Salvador University (USAL). The literature program at USAL has already started, so I've been to one class there, and the political science program at UCA starts this week. I'm excited to start classes because that means I'll have a regular routine down instead of having to look at my planner every day!
Saturday nights have been great, because on that day I go out and make an event out of eating. I've tried three different restaurants so far. The first Saturday I was here I went with my new friend Natalie to try a classic Argentine asado (steak!) which was absolutely delicious. Then the next Saturday Natalie and I went to a very chic Mexican restaurant where I tried shrimp tacos. The food was good, but the portions were too small. Last night, Natalie, Noah, Zac, Kate and I tried a restaurant called "Estilo Campo" which is near UCA, about 40 minute bus ride away from my house. I had steak, which was again, absolutely delicious. Plus, you can not beat the prices. Since the peso is still 4 to 1 with the dollar, the most I've spent on a meal here is about 40 US dollars for two people!
My birthday is in three days! I'll officially be in my "Early 20s". Wow. It's rather anti-climactic because of course I can drink legally here already, but I'm thinking I'm going to go with a few friends to a nice restaurant for a good meal. Well, that's basically all the updates for now.

No comments:

Post a Comment