Everyone has dogs in this country. Absolutely everyone. And while every American laughs at Paris Hilton for dressing up Tinkerbell (her little Chihuahua, for those of you who didn't know), I'm pretty sure that half the dogs I've seen here are better dressed than I am. From the biggest greyhound, to a chihuahua so small it could fit in my purse, a huge portion of dogs here sport sweaters, and....drum roll please.........I've seen some wearing pants too! When we went to visit la Boca and the Bombonera (Boca Junior's stadium), some guy was walking around with both his greyhounds sporting blue and gold Boca sweaters and pants!! My only question....what about shoes? I mean, when my dog PJ was still alive I know we bought him booties when it snowed so his paws wouldn't freeze, but I have yet to see a dog here with shoes! Weird!
On another note. Protests erupted throughout the downtown area two days ago when the electric bills came. Apparently the electric bills are really fixing people good raising bills as much as 600% this month. For what reason? Well, I'm not entirely sure. But people were ANGRY. And the police of course were not just going to sit around and let people protest. Policemen in full riot gear (masks, bullet proof vests, those long sticks they use to hit people with, and cans of tear gas and of course guns) on every corner of the plaza yesterday, in addition to a whole slew of regular police in the middle of the plaza. Now granted, this wasn't anywhere near the scale of 2001, when Ines told me that the main avenue four blocks from us was blocked with protestors nearly every afternoon, but I feel like I'm definitely here at an exciting time!
On yet another note, Argentine football and the AFA are experiencing an unprecedented crisis that has actually never happened before. The details are still quite a mystery to me (the newspaper lying nxt to me promises to explain more), it had something to do with some channels exclusive contract to show the AFA football games. The AFA broke the contract, and because of that, Boca's first match has been delayed yet another week. *sigh* But apparently this is the first time EVER this has happened and footballers and sports shows talk of little else!
So that's how it is here in Buenos Aires.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment