So midterms are finally done here! Think I mentioned that in my last entry. To celebrate my friend Natalie and I had a jam packed weekend! We went to the racetrack Friday, where I had absolutely no luck, but sadly could not get into the casino! Stupid Argentines still think they have the right to ask us for original ID when that law was nullified along with Jorge Videla. Saturday I went and played a scrimmage with Di Tella, then went to see Chacarita Juniors play Huracan in Argentinos Juniors stadium. After that we had a wonderful at home dinner (i.e take out from the grill around the corner), and then went out for some drinks! Sunday was by far the best day, though. Why? Well because I was on the radio.
This man Dario and his wife are really totally making my life right now! As a part of the group of fans that they run, they have a website and a radio show. So the Sunday before last Dario had announced on the show that there was an American girl studying in Buenos Aires doing her thesis on Argentinos Juniors! Apparently people actually called in and said like "Oh is that the girl I saw you with at the game?" or "yeah I'm pretty sure I saw her at the press office at the polideportivo". So it happened just as I thought, everyone knows me as "the american doing the research."
Well they invited me this week, I couldn't go last week, to the radio station for their weekly show. Now, radio is much more widely listened to in this country than in the USA. Principally because many people don't have the money to buy a television and many businesses don't have a place to put one! It was really interesting, though. I had envisioned some big building in the center of town. Nope. It was a small house right across the border between the province and the city. There was no sign outside, but there were about three recording rooms. I believe 1 downstairs and 2 upstairs.
We went in to the room, which was sound proofed, and there was a table with one microphone hanging in the middle. There were about 6 of us in total. They just talked about Argentino's chances against the team they played Sunday afternoon, and some people called in. It's amazing the amount of ways that people can call into a radio show these days! There was a computer that was practically in the table. I don't know how they configured it. But the show was getting messages on Facebook, on MSN Messenger, and e-mails! Plus, there were 2 phone lines, and you even could txt the station! We were talking, and then when someone called in we put on these headsets connected to these outlets that in turn connected to something in the middle of the table and we could hear what the caller was saying. Unfortunately, my hour of fame was not quite as huge as it should have been. Ha ha! The station was experiencing problems so lots of people only heard music on the station instead of the show.
But yeah, Dario had me say a few words about my thesis and why I chose the team. He asked me my predictions about the game (which they ended up tying 1-1), and had me end the program in English! Ha. He said they were looking for something to liven up the program. He had asked me, well can you say this that and the third (but he asked me in Spanish) in English at the end of our program? I couldn't put my finger on the direct translation and I didn't want to get it wrong, so I originally told him no. Then they were about to end the program and everyone just stopped talking and looked at me! So I said, "Stay tuned in next week, Argentinos Pasion will be back on at the same time!"
The program cut, everyone started laughing, they asked me, "Um what did you just say!" Guess they thought they'd be able to understand me! Ha.
Well after that Natalie and I went to San Telmo and were very cultural. We walked around the fair, we went to the Saint Telmo Museum. And of course, I got loads of pictures!
San Nicolas is Saturday with Di Tella's soccer team! I'm so excited! Sooo much work to do though! Oh well. I mean, who really needs sleep anyways?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment