Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Machismo at it's best....working on the museum and other thesis stuff



So as a part of my thesis research I have been invited to help put together the very first museum about the history of Argentinos Juniors. The opening date was set to be October 31, but they're shooting for November 16 now, since there have been some delays. There are about 10 people on the committee, all fans, all (except Dario, who of course has a position at the club, but who of course does not get paid for his overtime work on the museum) are volunteers. There are three females on the committee, including myself, and one who is an artist not affiliated with the club who's being paid for her work. My experiences in the museum have been quite interesting so far.

Saturday before the game Dario said that the group was getting together to work on the museum. Ok, so I hiked over at 11:00AM to be there. Now, out of the four men and two women who were there, take a WILD guess who was ACTUALLY working. Yup, Dario's wife Gabbi. She was putting names with all the photos to make placards telling the names of the players on each team that the museum has photos for. The others? "Discussing" or "Debating" about different things...none of which brought an actual decision.

Fast forward to yesterday. Another meeting. I suppose I'll be down there a lot because the opening date is so soon and there's SOOO much to be done. Anyway. Dario told me 7:00 PM. An actual somewhat organized meeting did not start til 8:15. Who was responsable for organizing the chaos? The female artist not affilliated with the club. She got everyone's attention, presented her ideas, and then the men had to debate them. And who took notes? Who thought of writing everything down so said debate didn't have to happen all over again the next meeting? Another female, of course. Seemed to me that the men just argued, debated, and planned. The women did all the concrete work, which of course they presented to the men for their opinion.

And what did I do, you might ask? Well. I shined trophies. Hence the picture. Small job. But of course as a foreigner I was just there to observe, and grateful for the chance to do it! It was phenomenally interesting all the tiny details that go into the planning of a museum. Personally I don't think they'll be able to fit everything they want to in such a small space, but I suppose we'll see what happens. Apparently the opening was supposed to be like in mid October, which means they're really pushing the clock moving it back a month. They've had to deal with a lot of delays and everything, and of course money problems. They pay for it all out of pocket and then later get reimbursed by the club, provided they can show receipts.

In other thesis news. I do believe my interview with the president of the club is going to be tonight! I have ten questions to ask him and I'm quite excited!!! I've heard great things about the man, so I'm sure I'll learn lots. Last night I also procured another interview with the man that owns the Merchandising business for the club. He's 78 and can remember games since he was 4, according to him at least. That's all for now in thesis land. Mid terms are done and this weekend is my fun weekend!

That's all for now in Buenos Aires.
The meeting took place on this really old set of bleachers! Ha. ->

No comments:

Post a Comment