Thursday, October 1, 2009

Maaany VERY choice words for the Argentine Immigration System

To begin with, there is absolutely NO earthly reason why I should be leaving Migrations at 11:05AM when I arrived 15 minutes early for my 7:45AM appointment. Yes, folks. 3.5 hours. Three and a half hours and SIX HUNDRED PESOS LATER I am basically assured residency for 2 years in this WONNNNDERFUL country.

So apparently, Argentina considers whatever country you were born in your nationality. So while most Americans would consider me an American born in Colombia, Argentina considers me a Colombian with an American passport. Soooo..... I get there, and think "Yes! I'm first in line for the entire day!" It was like 7:50 and I had the ticket 001. Ok. I go up to the window and the guy takes my passport, he said, "You were born in Colombia?" I said "Yes". He said, "This is the wrong counter." So he went with me to the counter where they were giving out numbers, and told the two women that since I was born in Colombia I had to go through the MercoSur (Market of the South- the Southern Cone's entity similar to the EU, which other countries in South America, including Colombia, are also an affiliate) procedure.

So then they give me ticket 012 for the Mercosur counter. I wait like 6 or 7 minutes and my number is called. Now, IFSA (the exchange program I came with) said that we had to bring 300 pesos. LUCKILY I withdrew lots from the ATM, to avoid the absolutely gigantic ATM fees they charge. So, they told me the fee would be 600. I asked why. They explained that since I am Colombian BUT do not possess a Colombia passport, I have to go through the Mercosur Process, BUT they have to charge me in a category called EXTRA-MERCOSUR. Which basically means, those applying for residency that were born OUTSIDE Mercosur.

Mind you...it took like 30 minutes to figure this out. I wasn't going to pay them 300 pesos extra just because they said so, and luckily just as this was happening, the Migrations Head for IFSA was coming into the building. So, I asked him to come over and asked him why they're saying they want twice as much as IFSA said to bring. He said that even though I was MERCOSUR that I was applying for Transitory Residency, and therefore should only be charged 300. Well, they said I was at the wrong counter for Transitory Residency. So they took me BACK to the counter where they give out the numbers. Ugh. I don't even want to waste energy describing this whole fiasco, which, may I add, attracted the higher ups in the corner offices to come and resolve. We got the final verdict from the man in the very corner office. Then of course I had to wait about 2 hours for them to do God knows what with this piece of paper that I signed. I swear they gave me back the exact same piece of paper I signed except with my photo stapled on, and of course THAT took 2 hours.

I would wager that this was more of a fiasco that most DMVs in the US. There were SOOO many people behind these glass windows, yet it seemed only a quarter of them were actually working!!!! They were ALL taking their SWEET time drinking their mate and having their croissants, and it just really ticked me off!

Besides. Wouldn't you think that my exchange program IFSA would have KNOWN how this works??? That those born in Mercosur countries have to pay extra if they're naturalized USA citizens??? Oh, of course not!!!! Their excuse?? "Well, it's really not that common."

In addition.....of course I took the wrong train home. I had to walk 8 blocks then catch a bus, when I should've gotten off at a station 4 blocks from my house. And the most confusing thing??? I was on the right line. Needless to say I really just felt like crying when I FINALLY got home, which was about six hours after I left my house. This has definitely NOT been one of those days where I'm just too good at this country.

But yesterday was!!!! And this Saturday will be as well! Stay tuned for blog entires detailing everything! As I think I have already ranted enough for one entry and getting on to how great of a Saturday I am going to have would be rather confusing.

All I can say. That's how it is here in Buenos Aires!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment